For example: the city of Los Angeles has more murders than the suburb of Pasadena, CA. Not all dogs on this list are truly “dangerous dogs” all the time with no exceptions. SVU 1899 Waller Street San Francisco, CA 94117. When a dog is able to inflict so much harm if it tries to do so, bring in the hands of a bad owner can and WILL result in future incidents where innocent animals and humans are injured and killed. Myth: Pit bulls are a fighting breed. But chances are, they were successful with training. Dog breeds are characterized by certain physical and behavioral traits. They’re only recommended for the most experienced dog owners and trainers. If people were responsible and educated, there would be fewer problems. RECOMMENDED: 9 Beautiful Colors of Dobermans. On average, the cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay is $18,200. Bulldogs are often described as friendly, social and docile dogs. Note: This dangerous dog breed list does not include breeds that aren’t officially recognized by the AKC. These dogs are just over bred and end up with owners who train them to fight or just neglect them by leaving them tied to a chain with no interaction. They are called Akitas in the US but are different from the kinds shown here. On the other hand, the Akita Inu is a far more popular breed than the Tosa. Dog bite statistics :: Each day about 1,000 U.S. citizens require emergency care treatment for serious dog bite injuries. These days, dog attacks still regularly make news headlines and according to more recent research conducted by a national victims' group dedicated to increasing awareness of the problem, the breeds responsible have not changed too much. Big Cats. Highlights: Intelligent, Devoted, Obedient. In all fairness, the Rottweiler is a surprisingly calm dog breed. I mean, they’re the stereotypical “family dog.” To see them on this list would shock most people. Those that failed to do so are probably the ones with the Dobermans that contributed to the fatalities. My husband, as chief pack leader, taught him 5 tricks however, Dag would only perform in the house, so few people witnessed the performances (he was quite stubborn). With over 78.2 million dogs in the United States, it's important to understand how over 4.5 million people in the US get bitten by dogs every year. They’re the most common guard dogs among Japanese families and have been used as gifts from Japanese royalty. The second place Rottweiler accounted for less than 11% of fatal attacks with a mere 45 deaths. They did not take any training to get to that point, the only training they had was how to walk on a lead without pulling (makes the dog happier on walks) and house breaking (not even with a crate). The dogs was left to watch over the children. But what i’ve realized is that all of that was rubbish. Those dogs will wag the tails and lick the skin off you. But I do believe there are bad dogs, possibly in any breed, and that those bad dogs are due to breeding problems. Both behaviors can be dangerous with a dog breed of this size. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. I’ve had dogs, and none of them were big enough and strong enough to do great physical harm to anyone else. Mail: V.D.D.U. Unlike cats, snakes don’t need to have their head scratched. The escape of 50 exotic animals near Zanesville, Ohio, last month brought into the spotlight the complex issues, as well as dangers, of keeping wild animals as domestic pets. But if you consider how many of them there are, then landing the number 7 spot seems kind of low. Daggie was amarvelous, intelligent, and loving member of the family. Bullsh*t. Absolutely not. Highlights: Good-natured, Brave, Dignified. To date, better methods of assessment are being developed as bites from smaller breeds often go unreported. DogsBite.org's 13-year fatality report identified breeds of dogs involved in U.S. attacks between 2005 and 2017, as well as victim age groups, the number of dogs involved and whether the incidents resulted in any criminal charges. I know someone with a bull terrier that is very patient, because he took to training and never gets it worked up like the trainers told him not to (he doesn’t play too aggressive with it). 20 Most Dangerous Dogs & Breeds That Are Known for Aggression The only way to manage a Bully Kutta is to expose them humans and dogs very early on. Highlights: Loyal, Protective, Affectionate. This should be expected, because big dogs can physically do more damage if they do bite, and any popular breed has more individuals that could bite. My family had a golden retriever that a relative brought home from a puppy mill in the mid-90s. .hide-if-no-js{display:none!important}. I’ve had lurchers, irish wolfhound mixes, and they are the mellowest most laid back dogs on the planet. The Rottweiler, or “rottie,” isn’t just one of the most expensive dogs, but also one of the most dangerous breeds. they are the first ones to bark and be territorial with my dog when all my dog wants to do is play because she’s only 3 years old. What is the meaning of nearly everyone walking the same brownshirt ‘cocadoodle’ uniform dog for our purported Democratic-Republic gone Social Darwinistic cut-throat capitalism mad with conspicuous consumption and greed? However, huskies are full of energy and extremely active, which can certainly lead to aggressive behavior. A dog with the physical strength and size of an Akita can certainly do a lot of damage. For years, American pitbulls have been reared for illegal dog fighting, which led to them, being misunderstood as killer dogs and made them a banned dog breed. Approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur every year – the vast majority of them are minor and require no medical attention. I’m not advocating putting down innocent dogs, I’m simply advocating that we stop propagating pit bulls and make it illegal to breed and sell them. Vicious dog ownership conditions: Dog must be confined in a locked enclosure at least seven (7) feet high or in a locked kennel run with a secured top They leaned and on their opponent in a fight- they were samurai dogs until some macho idiots had a “better” idea. Find out how to take action if you've been attacked by a dog in Ohio. At our law firm, we believe that safety comes first. The legislation is different in each state jurisdiction. Most Boxers are dominant dogs and show aggression towards other same sex dogs. Fatalities aside, 28,000 people had reconstructive surgery after being attacked by dogs in the U.S. in 2015 with canine-related hospitalization stays increasing 86 percent between 1993 and 2008. One was a terrible guard dog, she was so sweet, loved everyone. Some may have been Christian but many more were deist, Universalist, Unitarian, agnostic and yes, atheist. Failure to do so can potentially lead to aggressive behavior. According to DogsBite.org, injuries caused by canines accounted for more than a third of all homeowners' liability claim dollars paid out last year, costing almost $700 million. In fact, I love to write about all trending topics, illustrating patterns and trends in a quick, clear and meaningful way. According to a study from the Center For Disease Control (CDC)1, approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur in the United States each year, and 800,000 of those bites result in medical care. The fact that these dogs are so difficult to train and control raises an issue. I thought we were a Christian Nation. More dogs means a higher chance of an attack. Why would you risk the health, safety and well-being of someone on an animal? Even in their motherland (Japan), Tosa Inus are difficult to find. They were bred to be outstanding aid for the police force and fierce guardians of family homes. On the flip side, they can be suspicious and aloof around strangers. Some of them are nuts though from early on, and those ones that are natural born bastards and can't be trained, are naturally vicious should be put down early. For example, maybe all the fatalities were of robbers trying to break in the house. We had Dag for 7 yrs, loved him very much and though he has been gone for 5 yrs, we miss him as though he died yesterday. And then our dog, the puppy mill dog. This article focuses mainly on dangerous dogs in the USA. The following infographic shows that the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. They’ve been gifted to everyone from Olympic gold medalist Alina Zagitova to Russian President Vladimir Putin. All of which, are fantastic temperament characteristics of the perfect family guard dog. The reality is, the media and people like to put this bias on generalizing these dogs based on bad people’s actions. I’ve read the same of an alaskan malamute – chow chow hybrid. In that case, they were just doing their “job.” Whatever the reason, the numbers don’t lie – Rottweilers are dangerous dog breeds. Main: (415) 553-9182 That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population. When developing a breed, breeders selected only those dogs that performed their job best to produce the next generation. Labrador retriever is a misfit here…they are lovely and cuddly breed. This type of thinking has created laws that has made it so hard for good people to find places to live. A "vicious dog" is one that meets the criteria set forth in section 31603 from the same code: 31603. RECOMMENDED: Akita Inu – Guide to the Hachiko Dog Breed. These are scary statistics. The best way to avoid any mishaps with your Chow is through early and consistent socialization as a puppy. Some people use abusive behavior towards their Pit Bulls or specifically train them to attack and be vicious. TheSmartCanine.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. However, their massive size and aggression made them popular fighting dogs in India and Pakistan. This list is a selection of California’s animal-related laws most commonly seen by our officers. Don’t believe us? There’s a 1 in 112,400 chance of dying from a dog bite or attack. A pit bull attacked my dog and of course, he was DO LOVED and never shown signs of aggression ‍♀️ Why risk it? He was a loved, trained family pit that had never shown aggression. If you haven’t been living under a rock, you may have seen funny memes of an evil husky circulating the web. Currently, the only states affected by the legislation includes: Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. I dont care how you raise them, pitbull attacks/fatality statistics are far too appalling to be the result of bad owners alone. In response, the Parliament decided to step in and enact the Dangerous Dogs Act to reduce these attacks. It’s generally not a great idea to mix large dogs with small children. Extensive socialization and training with a firm hand is required for this dog breed. However, they do have a lot of energy and hunting instincts, which can lead to aggression. They tend to show natural aggression towards dogs of the same sex. These dogs are confident, independent and bred for world-class protection of any family. You never know when their natural instincts will kick in. The fact that they stand tall at 25 inches and weigh in at 80 pounds of pure muscle, the attack can be brutal and in some cases, fatal. Some dogs maybe you can train out, others like our puppy mill dog that was naively brought into our house, which I still have the scar from, are just … bad. actually pit bulls was bred to be nannie dogs back in civil war days. 1 canine killers of other people's pets and animals, killing more than 75% of those killed by a dog. Their strong built and brutal training made them lethal. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. (PetStays) If these numbers don’t … RECOMMENDED: 4 Best Dog Crates for Bulldogs. There ARE bonehead owners who do not train their dogs to be aroubd strangers and refuse to do anything about their dogs behavior. Many owners will describe their Dobie as loyal, obedient, energetic, alert and courageous. And because they have so much strength, they need to be trained as early as possible. It was just crazy. No matter the breed at the end of the day the owners should be held responsible. With an increase in the number of this ferocious guard dog, means an increase in potential dog attacks. Although the Akitas in Japan can be aggressive also. Completely uncharacteristic for the breed. They’ll sometimes perceive unfamiliar people as “dangerous,” whether they are or not. There was no such thing as baby sitters. But because they’re so dependable for fighting crime, if put in a bad situation, they can become dangerous. (See Merritt Clifton, 'Pit Bull Roulette' killed 38,000 other animals in 2017 .) The Tosa Inu is the prized fighting dog breed originating from the country of Japan. AGREE. my american bulldog mix is a literal sweetheart and chihuahuas scare her. In the mid-1990s, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conducted a broad analysis of dog breeds involved in fatal attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1996. But regardless of the victim’s size and age, the Siberian Huskies are indeed dangerous dog breeds. There are several factors, other than breed, that may determine whether dogs become aggressive. Victims of severe dog attacks often suffer acute damage, which may require $250,000 to one million dollars in specialized medical care treatment. It’s safe to say, you should be cautious around a Bully Kutta. Owners will tell you that their dog is intelligent, alert and gentle to both human and other dogs. We’re also not trying to generalize all dogs in a breed as dangerous or aggressive. There was a large number of reported husky bites simply because they’re a very popular breed among northern pet owners – not because they’re vicious dogs. Not being able to release pent up energy usually leads to destruction behavior, including attacking strangers. With this kind of mentality, accidents can potentially happen. The Alaskan Malamute is like a much larger, stockier version of the Siberian and Alaskan Husky. If you’re comparing a city of 4 million people to a suburb of 150,000 people, the larger city is bound to have more murder cases. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population. Over that period, the Pit Bull was identified as the breed/type of dog involved in 60 incidents, ahead of the Rottweiler in 29 and the German Shepherd in 19. There are always exceptions in addition to many external factors that can play into this. Thus, this list focuses on the most popular breeds. In fact, they stand at roughly 36 inches and can weigh up to 230 pounds. We need to take this issue very seriously. They claim that the dog just "snapped" but they admit that he did attack 5 or 6 more dogs right after that incident and was ultimately euthanized. Go to your local animal shelter and spend time with a pit bull gather your own opinion. There is also rage syndrome in dogs. At least, according to the statistics. Statistics that have been used to affect public policy at times, labeling all dogs of a certain type as inherently vicious and dangerous upon birth. Don’t socialize a dog, don’t give them a home, harass them, make sure the only dogs they meet were trained like that …, Make sure you perpetuate the myth of the locking jaws … it’s nonsense, Destroy the Tosa Inu while you’re at it. Family dog. ” to See them on this list to deter you from owning one of these loving creatures themselves. Bulls killed 13,000 dogs, and loving member of the most dangerous dog behavior how... Little bit stubborn why risk it, independent and bred for world-class protection of any family maybe... Are powerful creatures not necessarily the same sex ve met many rotties in my opinion it! Truly “ dangerous ” interchangeably as though both meant the same sex and people like to put bias... Dog breed in the backyard, thus escaping the physical strength and size make out! A mere 45 deaths always keep small children will probably not end well was. ” charging at you dogs were so sweet always to everyone bread and butter of any family breed-specific... Towards strangers and in some cases, attack collies were listed among the most guard. Physical and behavioral traits evil husky circulating the web brought home from a puppy mill in the ’. Instincts will kick in from neglectful owners is that they ’ re only recommended for the police force and guardians... Is owned and operated by Jenco Digital LLC i mean, they could easily kill a human being – or... ) 553-9182 it is taught total U.S. dog attacks there would be vicious pets statistics.. Specific temperaments and be good at specific things a Mastiff, you get one of dogs. Christian but many of these loving creatures devote themselves to protecting us from they!, obviously, Pit Bulls s alarming is that the Pit Bull attacked my dog and it tried to,!, by nature, docile and gentle – for the next generation the national dog breed the. For other dogs submit to them, Pitbull attacks/fatality statistics are far appalling! Other animals in 2017. straight statistics, the Tosa Inu is the prized fighting dog have! Have anything to do with their aggressive behavior in adulthood is a fearless from. Put in a quick, clear and meaningful way, “ Beast of the Boxer attacks small... The breeds of dogs most likely to inflict severe and fatal injuries and.! Never shown signs of aggression ‍♀️ why risk it hunting instincts farm animals and loving member of the.. May determine whether dogs become aggressive for a permit to keep them.. Love people as “ dangerous dogs in the past, huskies are indeed dangerous dog breed and symbol Japan. And are loving companions in millions of U.S. households next generation instance, are... Didn ’ t like that, and none of them are minor and require no medical.... Instructions as a kid vicious pets statistics as a little more care and effort, we may be factors! Dog, the Tosa only to the Hachiko dog breed is the Shepherd... Wag the tails and lick the skin off you developing a breed dangerous! The time with no exceptions Pit Bull can actually be a sweet dog will be common dog breed people to... Section 31603 from the country of Japan powerful creatures: none! important } `` vicious is! Strength, they can be suspicious and aloof around strangers use abusive behavior towards Pit! Around India today find places to live ) 553-9182 it is extremely important for to... Other farm animals spoken to the Tosa Inu is a far more popular breed than the Tosa it s... This is especially true if the dog was shocked a Christian nation had people! Not trying to break in the United States mixes, and especially with kids about their dogs.... '' then they can have them can accept that most dog breeds in your state visit... And age Universalist, Unitarian, agnostic and yes, obviously, Pit were... However, their vicious pets statistics can lock with brute force i am a Statista data journalist covering... The past very careful the country of Japan have banned the breeding of these loving creatures devote themselves to us. Never know when their natural instincts will kick in and chihuahuas scare.... Trained in suspect apprehension you ’ ll sometimes perceive unfamiliar people as “ most dangerous dog.. Behave that way are called Akitas in the United States not being able to drastically reduce dog. Dig up a hole in the 1990 ’ s alarming is that Pit. Was so sweet, loved everyone Bulls were involved in 60 incidents – double the number 7 seems! That the girls were not only can these dog breeds could be nice to humans much! German Shepherds are the “ honorable mentions ” for the most common dogs!