I sometimes add chives to my melted butter, just for some color and added flavor even though I know it is not traditional. Learn how to make perfect slow cooker baked potatoes with minimal effort. :D I love reading stories about architypal food that our ancestors ate. 277 calories; protein 4.7g; carbohydrates 39.7g; fat 11.7g; cholesterol 30.5mg; sodium 95.4mg. The smaller they are the faster they cook) I am a CNY native and always had salt potatoes growning up I never knew they were regional until recently. The potatoes are still very popular today with the Central New York crowd, making an incredibly easy and delicious side dish. Remove bay leaves. When the cooking time is up, drain the water off the potatoes, leaving the potatoes in the slow cooker. The size of your crock pot as well as potatoes will determine how many you can do at one time. Note: In my previous chitterling video I used potatoes to help mute the smell of the chittlins. At the end of the 2 hours, add the potatoes to the slow cooker. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. The potatoes will be very done so be careful! You saved Syracuse Salt Potatoes to your. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Never-ever use red skin potatoes!!! I followed THERE recipes and my family and I enjoyed a treat STRAIGHT FROM HEAVEN!!!! Cook for 2 to 3 hours on high heat or 4 to 5 hours on low heat. I do this with 2 potholders, using the lid to hold the potatoes in, but leaving a crack for the water to come out. Amount is based on available nutrient data. You want them nice and tender, with plenty of butter, but not falling apart. Toss the potatoes in the Crock Pot along with olive oil, ghee, garlic, Italian seasoning, and sea salt. In this post I’m going to show you how to make chitterlings in the slow cooker. Add in the butter and stir into the potatoes until melted. Rub each potato with 1 teaspoon olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat on Low for 5 hours. How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes. I have also boiled reds side by side, one pot with amount of salt this recipe calls for and one pot with just a little salt...and it's amazing how the salty brine makes the salt potatoes so creamy inside! Add half the potatoes, 150g cheese, half the garlic, 1/3 of the cooked bacon, half … A Potatoes Recipe is an all-time favorite; One of the most important aspects of the recipe is the way it is prepared. Congrats! 2) The ratio of salt to water is 1 cup of KOSHER SALT (never table salt) to 6 cups of water. You want them nice and tender, with plenty of butter, but not falling apart. Cover and set your crock pot on high and cook for two hours or until they are fork-tender. Place the lid on the slow Cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Lightly grease a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. The nutritional information displays the entire amount of salt used in the recipe; the actual amount consumed will be less. Cover. PS – … In any event - for all those salt lovers - go for it!!! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Ingredients1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed 1 pound small new potatoes, halved water to cover 2 (1 inch) cubes salt pork, or more to taste DirectionsStep 1Layer green beans and potatoes in the bottom of a slow cooker. In a 6-quart slow cooker, arrange potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, 3 garlic cloves, 3 rosemary sprigs, and 4 thyme sprigs. I live in the Syracuse area and I grew up eating salt potatoes. Table of Contents. I served them alongside slow-roasted BBQ baby back pork ribs... mmmmmmmm... wonderful! One person said that this was suicide on a plate. I learned they were a big deal to people there, and I was eager to try the bag/kit of salt potatoes she picked up. Prick the potatoes with a fork several times, then rub potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and wrap tightly in foil. This New York specialty will completely transform the way you enjoy potatoes. Clean potatoes really well, rub with olive oil and then coat with kosher salt. Fill a large pot with water; stir in salt until it no longer dissolves … Pour over the melted butter, sprinkle over the salt, pepper and onion powder. If only you could taste these with the Cornell barbecue chicken that one can find about any weekend of the summer around here(Ithaca, NY/Cornell area)you'd know what it's all about!! Directions Line a slow cooker with foil and spray with cooking spray. Straight away you know that the amount of salt and butter used in this recipe is not good for you but since I love potatoes I decided to go for it. Serve or keep on a low heat until you are ready to serve. I always let the potatoes sit covered after draining for a bit before serving. Stir in the milk or half and half, … Mash the potatoes and add a small amount of milk to get a really creamy consistency. Please see our, We had these amazing Crock Pot Salt Baked Potatoes for supper last nigh, Start with a good baking potato, such as Russet, Put a layer of salt in the bottom of your crock pot about one inch deep, Let the salt cool completely…BUT don’t throw it out, Semi-Homemade Thanksgiving Series - Simply Living Simply, Crock Pot Hard Boiled Eggs | Oh Sweet Mercy, How to Make Brown Bag Chicken | Oh Sweet Mercy, Healthy, traditional fat such as butter or olive oil, Kosher salt, 2-3 cups (I have used regular salt with no problems). first, i want to say thank you for the recipe. … Himalayan Salt; Dead Sea Salt; Black Truffle Salt; Fleur De Sel; Salt Sampler; Blog. Make sure the potatoes are nice and small - so you can just pop them in your mouth in one bite!