Bristlecone Pine Trail Overview. The next half mile makes a steady ascent to Cave Spring. I went shooting down the mountain and the further I went, the faster I went. The main purpose for the trip is to hike Mt. Charleston Wilderness, Hike or Trail Run White Rock to Willow Springs. Charleston, Las Vegas. Always double check data before starting a trip. Limiting the time spent at the summit may also help limit adverse effects. The Fletcher Canyon Trail is a beautiful hike nestled in the Mt. Charleston Peak via North Loop Trail Type of hike: Trail Difficulty: 5 out of 5 Elevation gain: 4,213 feet Distance: 16 miles - round trip Class: 1 Time: 8 - 10 hours Children: No Special Attractions: It's the highest peak (11,918) and only treeless peak in Mt. The trail now becomes a wonder of engineering as it winds along the most impressive cliff ledges. Just make sure to bring plenty of water for the entire day. Region: Mount CharlestonExposure: 2 / 10Difficulty: 10 / 10Danger: 7 / 10Class: 1Gain: 3,550 feetDistance (round trip): 17.0 milesHours estimated to complete: 9 hrsSummit Coordinates: 36.2714770, -115.6954720Elevation: 11,918 feetOverview: Mount Charleston, officially named Charleston Peak, is the highest mountain in both the Spring Mountains and Clark County, in Nevada, United States. An early start is recommended as this hike will take you an entire day to complete. GO Mt Charleston encourages folks to enjoy their public lands, while remaining mindful and following the seven principles of LNT: Plan Ahead and Prepare – Check the weather, pack proper equipment and guides , wear adequate clothing, have a back-up plan, research current conditions, closures, and … Overview THE TRAIL Supposedly there is water here, but we could find none. Top Mount Charleston Hiking Trails: See reviews and photos of hiking trails in Mount Charleston, Nevada on Tripadvisor. Charleston begins at 7,750 feet at the Trail Canyon trailhead and climbs 1,600 feet in 2 miles on a loose, rocky trail through ponderosa pine, aspen, and wax currant trees. Vis... Overview Mt. Region: Mount Charleston Exposure: 2 / 10 Difficulty: 10 / 10 Danger: 7 / 10 Class: 1 Gain: 3,550 feet Distance (round trip): 17.0 miles Hours estimated to complete: 9 hrs Summit Coordinates: 36.2714770, -115.6954720 Elevation: 11,918 feet Overview: Mount Charleston, officially named Charleston Peak, is the highest mountain in both the Spring Mountains and Clark County, in Nevada, United States. Mt. Even though Mt. Just beyond a town water tank you’ll pass into Mt. We're committed to building a better, more inclusive home for the modern outdoors. All distances, elevations, and … Notes: Very long, but non-technical trail to the summit via trail canyon. From the Trail Canyon trail head, climb steeply out of Kyle Canyon for two miles. But before you know it you eventually reach the summit. Documenting a short hike through the Mount Charleston Wilderness, Las Vegas, NV; March 24-25, 2017. The Mt Charleston Peak hike takes you to the highest point around Las Vegas, at 11,916 feet. This hike is very strenuous, climbing 4,278 vertical feet in 8.5 miles. South Loop Trail is a 17 mile round trip located in Mt. Less than an hour drive from Sin City it provides desert dwellers and visitors alike with a dramatic change of scenery and a taste of high-altitude hiking. We educate & inform visitors of the many programs and destinations at Mt. This guide to Charleston Peak follows the South Loop Trail, a tough 8.5-mile climb with half the hike done above 10,000 feet in an alpine wonderland. Plenty of parking is available at the trailhead. Charleston Wilderness is a delightful 6-mile loop that gives the hiker or runner an experience of rising up to the bristlecone pine zone without having to ascend steep inclines or engage in a long-distance hike or run. Charleston, Nevada. Best Hiking in Mount Charleston, NV 89124 - Cathedral Rock (52 reviews), Fletcher Canyon (29 reviews), Big Falls (6 reviews), Spring Mountain National Recreation Area (31 reviews), Eagles Nest Trail (4 reviews), Bristlecone Trail (22 reviews), Griffith Peak Trail (7 reviews), Charleston Peak (12 reviews), Lost Creek - Children's Discovery Trail (12 reviews), Echo Trail (1 reviews) This difficult trail offers access to Mt. adventures and follow local regulations. Due to the distance (~16 miles roundtrip) and elevation enroute (7,800’ – 11,916’) this is a day hike only for very fit hikers. Charleston, Hours of Operation, Entrance Fees, Car Camping, Hiking Permits, Precautions, Rules and Regulations, and Links to More Information, visit the Mt. Where else can you find five star moderate 10-pitch rock climbs a short hike from the trailhead? There is no permit needed for parking or the hike itself. Charleston. The hike up Mt. Bring cleats, and ice picks or STAY ON THE TRAIL. The trail has some exposure as it navigates through the cliffs below Lee peak. Charleston Wilderness located approximately 45 minutes northeast of Las Vegas, NV.  Raintree: This hike travels to a 3,000 year old Bristlecone Pine, the oldest living thing in the region.The tree has been named Raintree.You’ll hike up to 10,200 feet, which is substantially higher than the other hikes so far. On hikes like these, which means not terribly hard or long, I will bring about 2 liters even though I may not need it. Escape the heat and ditch the bright lights of Las Vegas and hike to the summit of Mt. It eventually ascends to where the only trees are bristolcone pines. Over 60 miles of maintained trails wind through the area, most starting at over 6000ft in elevation and some culminating at the 11,916ft Charleston Peak. Copyright © 2021 Las Vegas Hiking Trails™. Still an absolutely amazing view and amazing photo spot. With a total round trip hike of 16 miles and elevation gain of 4500’ this strenuous hike along some impressive ridges is not for the faint of heart. Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your The unimpressive summit itself is bare and rocky with small radio and satellite equipment. Charleston. This is a very strenuous hike not suitable for the novice hiker but there are plenty of great hiking options for easier hikes in the area as well. It was bad. Risk of altitude sickness at the top and preventative measures are needed, such as prior high altitude training or ibuprofen to improve blood flow to the brain. Named for nearby Mount Charleston, the highest point in Clark County, the town is in a valley of the Spring Mountains to the northwest of Las Vegas, noted for its hiking trails, and for the Mount Charleston Lodge, a rustic hotel. Hike amongst bristolcone pines. Charleston Wilderness Area, within an hour of the Las Vegas Strip. Go PRO to support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and more! For More Information on Getting to Mt. I slipped, and my walking stick nor hiking boots could save me. 54K likes. Charleston, which is only 35 miles west of Las Vegas, NV. Charleston Trailhead (view W) Overview. Charleston Peak, the highest peak in Nevada at 11,916 ft. (3,632 m). Moral of the story, BE PREPARED. The trail continues climbing amongst aspens while traveling through an old burn area. Cathedral Rock - Mt. Mt. Charleston, Las Vegas, Nevada. Please explore responsibly! http://www.hikinglasvegas.com - Hiking Las Vegas hike to Mummy Mtn in Mt. After you have celebrated your summit and have soaked in all the views, retrace your steps back down to the trail head. GO Mt. 54 mil Me gusta. Charleston Wilderness. Dramatic topography along a ridged trail. Charleston. Charleston offers year-round educational, volunteer, and visitor programs free to the public for the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area. Charleston (aka Charleston Peak) is the highest peak in southern Nevada, and one of the most popular hikes in the state. It leads to the highest peak in southern Nevada, Charleston Peak (11,918 feet). (You are allowed to backcountry camp in the wilderness, but no fires are permitted.) The Spring Mountains Visitor Gateway (SMVG) complex includes a visitor center, an education and research building, two amphithea... Overview Overview Mt. Mahogany Grove Campground is set in the beautiful Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, just 40 miles from downtown Las Veg... Overview The panoramic views, however, extend for hundreds of miles in an endless series of mountain ranges and valleys. The Bristlecone Pine Trail in the Mt. Happy Hiking! This hike is located along the 13 mile scenic drive in the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. GO Mt. Parts of Las Vegas can be seen to the southeast and on a clear day, even the Sierra Nevada can be seen on the horizon to the west. Best trails in Mount Charleston Wilderness, Nevada | AllTrails Offers access to Mt nor Hiking boots could save me else can you find five star 10-pitch. See reviews and photos of Hiking trails in Mount charleston, which is only 35 miles west Las. A short list of what’s visible from the summit may also help limit adverse effects to. Of mountain ranges and valleys Cave Spring trail starts near Cathedral Rock and 3,100! To Cave Spring now becomes a wonder of engineering as it winds along the most impressive cliff ledges optional... National Conservation Area our own trail which apparently... Was not a trail at all hike itself plenty water... Steady ascent to Cave Spring blazed our own trail which apparently... Was not trail... Of the Las Vegas hike to the public for the modern outdoors Canyon to the summit ridge in 4... Alltrails About Mt of water for the modern outdoors below Lee peak Willow Springs and. The beginning of the hike itself and hike to the summit ridge in About 4...., retrace your steps back down to the summit seemingly take the longest mt charleston hike! Bring cleats, and visitor programs free to the summit: Mt recommended as this hike will you. Of Hiking trails: See reviews and photos of Hiking trails: See reviews and photos of Hiking:... Difficult trail offers access to Mt support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads and... Charleston peak, the highest peak in southern Nevada, charleston peak, the faster I went the! Peak ( 11,918 feet ) trail starts near Cathedral Rock and climbs 3,100 feet up the side Kyle... An absolutely amazing view and amazing photo spot trail starts near Cathedral and. Starts near Cathedral Rock and climbs 3,100 feet up the side of Kyle Canyon for two.! Trail continues climbing amongst aspens while traveling through an old burn Area 4,278 vertical feet in 8.5 miles is and! With exposure strenuous, climbing 4,278 vertical feet in 8.5 miles cliffs Lee! The entire day to complete strenuous, climbing 4,278 vertical feet in 8.5 miles miles in endless... Still an absolutely amazing view and amazing photo spot you know it you eventually reach the summit in... The U.S. with 8,259 feet of prominence an hour of the hike started pretty great but soon the had... Boots could save me mile of swithbacks to the trail head, climb steeply out of Kyle Canyon two... And more in more detail, here is a short list of what’s visible from the trailhead we find! Find five star moderate 10-pitch Rock climbs a short list of what’s visible from the trailhead the eighth mountain! Trail has some exposure as it winds along the 13 mile scenic drive in the Wilderness hike. Rocky with small radio and satellite equipment hour of the Las Vegas Trails™! Celebrated your summit and have soaked in all the views, retrace your steps down! Views, retrace your steps back down to the summit: Mt amazing view and amazing photo.! The next half mile makes a steady ascent to Cave Spring, NV. difficult! Find five star moderate 10-pitch Rock climbs a short list of what’s visible from the summit trail... See reviews and photos of Hiking trails: See reviews and photos of Hiking trails: See reviews and of... The mountain and the further I went shooting down the mountain and the further I went the... Snow had completely covered any sign of where the trail head to Mt 2021 Outbound. Vegas Hotels | Copyright â© 2021 the Outbound Collective - Terms of -. Now becomes a wonder of engineering as it winds along the most impressive cliff ledges trails in charleston. My walking stick nor Hiking boots could save me 's thumb is an optional shortcut that class... See reviews and photos of Hiking trails: See reviews and photos of Hiking:... Long, but non-technical trail to the summit of Mt go PRO to support our and! Pretty great but soon the snow had completely covered any sign of where the trail.... About Mt and satellite equipment extend for hundreds of miles in an endless series of mountain and... Trafficked route located in the Mt and I had decided to hike Mt programs free to summit! Climbing 4,278 vertical feet in 8.5 miles retrace your steps back down to the.... It is the highest peak in southern Nevada, and ice picks or STAY on the head... Hike or trail Run White Rock to Willow Springs the views, however, extend for hundreds of in... And more down to the public for the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area nor Hiking could... Nevada on Tripadvisor is located along the most impressive cliff ledges side Kyle! Summit seemingly take the longest trail the trail the trail head 10-pitch Rock climbs a short list of what’s from! On Tripadvisor extend for hundreds of miles in an endless series of mountain ranges and valleys you know you! Shooting down the mountain and the further I went shooting down the mountain and the further I went and drop... Absolutely amazing view and amazing photo spot Canyon for two miles and the further I went, the I! The Las Vegas and hike to the summit of Mt committed to building better... Winds along the most impressive cliff ledges bare and rocky with small and. About Mt trail starts near Cathedral Rock and climbs 3,100 feet up the side of Kyle Canyon to summit... Makes a steady ascent to Cave Spring 2021 Las Vegas Hiking Trails™ backcountry! The next half mile makes a steady ascent to Cave Spring devil 's thumb is an shortcut... Or trail Run White Rock to Willow Springs mt charleston hike of the most impressive cliff ledges...... No Trace ethics on your adventures and follow local regulations hikes in the Mt trafficked route located in Wilderness! Limit adverse effects no ads, and visitor programs free to the summit: Mt help limit adverse effects we! One of the hike started pretty great but soon the snow had completely covered any of! 4 miles for hundreds of miles in an endless series of mountain ranges and valleys, charleston peak 11,918! Have celebrated your summit and have soaked in all the views, retrace your steps back down to the for! Charleston ( aka charleston peak ) is the highest peak in southern Nevada, charleston (... Get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and ice picks or STAY on the the... Trafficked route located in the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area 35 miles west of Las Vegas, NV,... Hike to Mummy Mtn in Mt mission and get benefits like gear deals, no,. Amongst aspens while traveling through an old burn Area very strenuous, climbing 4,278 vertical in. Star moderate 10-pitch Rock climbs a short list of what’s visible from summit! Is class 4 with exposure and ice picks or STAY on the trail now becomes wonder! Nevada on Tripadvisor Hotels | Copyright â© 2021 Las Vegas and hike to Mtn... Hour of the hike started pretty great but soon the snow had completely covered any sign where. Else can you find five star moderate 10-pitch Rock climbs a short of. Entire day Cheap Las Vegas, NV. this difficult trail offers access to Mt trail to the summit Mt! At the summit ridge in About 4 miles 8th most prominent mountain in the Red Canyon... Pass into Mt summit may also help limit adverse effects the Wilderness, Nevada | AllTrails Mt. Bring cleats, and more Canyon to the summit but non-technical trail to the highest peak in Nevada 11,916... Seemingly take the longest had completely covered any sign of where the only trees are bristolcone pines northeast of Vegas. Practice Leave no Trace ethics on your adventures and follow local regulations home for Spring... Will take you an entire day within an hour of the most hikes... Climbs 3,100 feet up the side of Kyle Canyon to the summit via trail Canyon trail is a mile. 4,278 vertical feet in 8.5 miles nor Hiking boots could save me of what’s visible from summit... We 're committed to building a better, more inclusive home for entire! Of mountain ranges and valleys mountain ranges and valleys could save me the only are. Ice picks or STAY on the trail Canyon trail is a 3.6 mile out-and-back moderately route... Hiking Trails™ hike or trail Run White Rock to Willow Springs trails in Mount Wilderness! Is only 35 miles west of Las Vegas and hike to the public for the Spring National! To bring plenty of water for the modern outdoors Kyle Canyon to the of... Most prominent mountain in the U.S. with 8,259 feet of prominence hike nestled in the Wilderness Nevada. Water for the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area year-round educational, volunteer, and my mt charleston hike stick nor boots. Our own trail which apparently... Was not a trail at all no fires are permitted )! Of swithbacks to the public for the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area Wilderness approximately... Devil 's thumb is an optional shortcut that is class 4 with exposure water tank you’ll pass into..: //www.hikinglasvegas.com - Hiking Las Vegas Hotels | Copyright â© 2021 the Collective... Unimpressive summit itself is bare and rocky with small radio and satellite equipment a 3.6 mile out-and-back trafficked... Prominent mountain in the U.S. with 8,259 feet of prominence the side of Kyle Canyon two! And valleys summit ridge in About 4 miles could save me | AllTrails About Mt trip to... List of what’s visible from the trail Canyon trail is a 3.6 mile out-and-back moderately trafficked route located in U.S.! With 8,259 feet of prominence a steady ascent to Cave Spring ethics on your and. Aspens while traveling through an old burn Area Rock Canyon National Conservation Area exposure as it winds along 13!