Mary Wilson could never upstage Diana Ross…Mary is classless…Mary started the whole thing by instigating Cindy into her plans. In an era before social media, MOTOWN 25was a true water-cooler event, marking the first time that music fans saw Michael … First Aired: November 20th, 2014. Girl, when Diane pushed Mary, Smokey and I decided that he better go out and difuse the situation; we didn’t want no bald Diane Ross up on that stage! Thank you for helping us improve PBS Video. I close with much love and respect.I am also buying anything I can from Flos family.Her sisters book worth$70.00.you go “Flo”s family you all will ge paid.Many of us are buying anything we can of Miss Ballads legecy, Hi just want to say it hurts me to hear anyone speak badly about Mary wilso .Shes suffered enough have compassion she lot her her sweet son read the tragic events thats surronds it.She wante so desperately to sing and be apart of motown.I long to have a voice half as good as her.Also Mary shows remorse foir her actions toward “flo”she enjoys what she does.I understand her.I feel her pain.I have just learned in full detail of the death of sons.His last wors as he lay dying was,mommy don`t die.Until your child dies in your arms as you cling for life.My God get off her case.Shes trying to survive.Yes miss ross is rich no question about that.They have all paid a very high price for stradom.My last remark is a bought reflexions.I was disappointed not the sing Only one lead Singer.Now I can make informed decison about marys voice.Fields if gold her you “U”cd she sounds goodI hope to see her in concert if I KEEP living.Mary is Mary she in a class of her own she wants her world not the whole world.She shares her stage with her band.Bigger does`t always mean better.I can never dis respect Miss Ross.But big fame can brig shame Remember mike and Houston and many others yes Ross has a very unique voice but just remember how You treat others can come back to bit us all in the Tu Tu.Smile peace.”FLO”we all loved you.Mary thanks for exposing motor-town.We needed to know the truth.Good or Bad.The history shows that blacks do have a history of sweeping on each other toil get to the top.Floor definitely was too.much of a lady for that.I would rather die poor than to hurt one struggling humanbean.Thanks again supremes. BOOTLEG FILES 410: “Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever” (1983 TV special featuring Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and the Supremes). All of this was new to me 50?yrs later that’s why people can’t let go. Click here and start watching Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever in seconds. She stayed mum, and only decided to “right the wrong” after Ballard’s death by milking a book deal — profits, from which, I doubt went to Ballard’s family. (And of course, there’s that whole unforgettable Michael Jackson Moonwalk experience…)A true treat! However, I suspect that it was destroyed. I don’t understand why people here are trying to change history,Diana forgot the words to Someday,We’re Be Together at Motown25,Diana couldn’t find her way back to the lead,yes Mary took it over,waiting for Diana to take it back,Diana was lost,and the Diana Ross fans want to blame Mary Wilson,Diana came out while Adam Aunt was doing a number,he looked at Diana like what are you doing,i’m sure Diana’s fans want to blame Mary for that also,like it on not Diana pushed Mary,i was told you are not ever to touch any one,and that means Mary Wilson,Mary Wilson is doing fine,sure she has had some up’s and downs,and Diana has had her ups and downs,THAT’ LIFE,Mary is JEALOUS of Diana?REALLY?LOL. But anyone finding “Motown 25” might be surprised at the quotidian nature of the offering. Oddly, the purchase and ownership of bootleg DVDs is perfectly legal. "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever debuted on NBC on May 16, 1983, and became an immediate sensation. Nostalgia addicts were equally out of luck in a “battle of the bands” featuring The Four Tops and The Temptations – neither group seemed to be in top spirit for the show. They make me feel good. The news we're most excited to share with you: Broadway shows, books, premieres, in-depth articles and more. Period. Nope. Motown 25 was the Michael Jsckson show. 1. The ladies were asked to wear either black or white. It was Wilson, who deliberately sabotaged The Supremes’ reunion — from not reading the teleprompter to strutting out late in not a complementary black number, but a shocking red gown to then stealing the lead vocals on Someday (she later claimed she thought Ross had forgotten the lyrics). Read Less. Watch full episodes of Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever and get the latest breaking news, exclusive videos and pictures, episode recaps and much more at TVGuide.com I met her in Memphis and she was very nice, but a little like watching a female impersonator of Ross: amusing, but clearly not diva material. What happened next, of course, changed the course of Jackson’s career and popular music. Before you submit an error, please consult our Troubleshooting Guide. MOTOWN FOREVER “Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever” There was a press release in Billboard magazine after the release of her disastrous solo debut. She is the most Spiritual and, loving person I have ever know and I get a healing in my Soul every time I see her. The videotape of the segment has never been publicly screened, but the news of Ross’ hissy fit confirmed her reputation as an imperious diva and the incident soured Wilson and Birdsong from doing any further reunions with Ross. The original broadcast of the two-hour show was watched by 47 million people, according to Nielsen, with 35 percent of the country with a TV set turned on watching Motown 25. It seemed fitting that Ross be the one to do so, but Wilson interceded and cut off Ross, so Ross delicately pushed Wilson’s mic down. I absolutely believe every word Mary Wilson had to say on the subject – I enjoy Diane’s music, but I am not a fan of Miss Ross and her star trip. Just what happened next has been in dispute – some sources say that Ross physically pushed Wilson down the stage, while other sources say that Ross merely pushed away Wilson’s microphone while she was speaking. In the sun-scorched dying desert town of Black Rock, John J. Macreedy (Spencer Tracy) steps off the Streamliner train, stopping for the first time in four... To think, all this time The Frighteners was just a loosely-based A Christmas Carol adaptation. Come time to the actual performance, their mics were louder than Ross’s. So if you are going to copy and distribute bootleg material, a word to the wise: don’t get caught. You've just tried to add this show to My List. Ross had just left Motown for RCA for $20 million, the most lucrative female recording contract at the time. From the mind of Brian Lynch (Spike, Angel and Angry Naked... Film Threat cares about your privacy and the security of your information. The resulting production was called “Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever” and it is mostly remembered for two sequences: the extraordinary performance of a non-Motown song and a smackdown between the members of one of Motown’s most celebrated acts. This myth has gone on far too long. BOOTLEG FILES 410: “Motown 25 – Yesterday, Today, Forever” (1983 TV special featuring Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and the Supremes). Lionel Richie, who abstained from a Commodores reunion, did a pre-taped solo turn and used his screen time to point out that the profits from the special were being used to finance sickle cell anemia research. Full Schedule. If Diana DIDN’T shove Mary and merely pushed her microphone down, what’s the big deal? The only thing that disappointed more was that crappy “Red Hot” album. The show deservedly won an Emmy Award, but has been unseen for over 20 years, until today. MOTOWN 25 was not simply a 2-hour TV special...it was a flashpoint cultural event! Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever is a rare concert and performance that marked the 25th anniversary of the coming together of Hittsville, USA. OH YEAH, that didn’t work out, did it??? You only have to look at Mary Wilson over the years duplicate whatever “look” Diana Ross was sporting at the time to see that there is something really, really strange going on with this woman. I thought the show was great! wow steve weaver and all the other funnyfarm ross fans are here.. wow. Get extended access to 1600+ episodes, binge watch your favorite shows, and stream anytime - online However, why do people still continue to rehash all this old crap and open the floodgates for idiots to spew their hateful comments one way or another. To date, however, there has been no DVD release. What savvy business mogul would threaten his gravy train if he had an act with a lead singer that was churning No. For those looking to enjoy a memory lane stroll, “Motown 25” provided a reunion of The Miracles, who performed a medley of four of their classic tunes, and Stevie Wonder performing a medley of six of his top-charting songs. Ross was given direction from de Passe to make a speech and call down Gordy. God bless you, Ms. Diana Ross! But he showed up and gave the show a much needed energy boost with a moving monologue on African American music history and an appropriately soulful performance of “What’s Going On.” In retrospect, his appearance was the most poignant part of the show – a year later, his father shot him to death during a domestic dispute. Required fields are marked *. Her red toungue? Chris you wrote the complete and honest truth, nuff said, I’m glad someone finally got it right. Or maybe she was just bombed as per usual. NBC broadcast “Motown 25” on May 16, 1983, and the program attracted an estimated 47 million viewers. =sabataged?It had to be.How can you produce and sell a damaged dvd.Jealously is rotten to the bone.I for one asked for a replacement same flaw.But I would keep it if onky one song played.I just ordered or am sending for I am changing cd cost $120.00.yes mary at last you are loved and respected.Go on the bank girlfriend.Thanks for keeping “flo” in our hearts and minds and soul keep on keeping on. He died five months later from alcohol-related health complications. Years later, in 1983, we both performed at the Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever tribute show. The highlight that caused the most talk was Michael Jackson’s world premiere of the moonwalk (aka six seconds that changed the world) but Motown 25 had an abundance of buzzworthy moments—reunions by the Miracles, the Supremes and The Jackson 5; the first battle of the bands … excuse me! The Tops and Temps, just everybody. There must have been some tense moments for the women, but now that they have faced each other after all these hearts of bitterness, perhaps all Supremes fans can now rest at ease and go on with our lives, as obviously these two iconic ladies have. Sure Florence had an earthier voice, but she didn’t have what Ross had: superstar charisma and cross-over appeal during a racially divided era in America. The show that celebrates the best in independent film! A number of major Motown legends, most notably Gladys Knight and the Pips, were absent from the stage, and no praise was given to the contributions of the Funk Brothers to the Motown sound. A bittersweet moment, indeed. She has done great things that many of us know nothing about and is a truly blessed Woman of God. In both cases, the presentations seemed perfunctory, as if none of the singers were too eager to revisit their classic work. This was edited out and sparked the fury of both Berry Gordy and Motown head Suzanne de Passe. Whereas Diana has always remained gracious when talking about the Supremes and her past. A nice tribute was done showing behind the scenes look at the songwriters. Diana, is and has always been considered “The Queen of Motown”…. But Ballard, a rape victim, was plagued by psychological demons and rebelled in jealous fits of alcoholic rage. In 1976, Joe Jackson directs his sons to Epic Records, but without Jermaine, who marries Berry Gordy’s daughter Hazel, and stays true at Motown. The Supremes were, in fact, prepared to do a medley, but the show ran overtime and it was decided that the girls would only do Someday We’ll Be Together. benefit. Truth is Wilson, like Gaye, had an axe to grind against Motown. That one performance had an enormous impact on pop culture and prompted MTV to start showcasing black acts. Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever is a celebration of the sound and the people who made it happen. Celebrate this important part of Black history month tonight with arguably the most influential record label of all of Black Music. As for Diana Ross joining in his performance, not only was Adam flattered, amazed, and starstruck, but he was also very grateful: he had recently had surgery on his knee and the pain was excruciating, which you can hear in his voice and see in his dancing (or, rather, his ‘staggering’). Ross did not shove Wilson on stage. NOT “lackluster “. The 25th Anniversary of Motown Records is celebrated by its past and present stars playing their greatest hits, plus some new ones. Motown 25 was not simply a 2-hour TV special…it was a flashpoint cultural event! Was but a mere 5 year run they had. We have no record of any Miss Wilson receiving a Lifetime Grammy award. The show deservedly won an Emmy Award, but has been unseen for over 20 years, until today. What few seemed to know is that Mary was actually fired from Motown. Any Miss Wilson receiving a Lifetime Grammy Award Surround Sound that reveals the Music to its fullest potential announce at! By claiming, “ i ’ ve SEEN stars and i ’ ve SEEN and... Ross…Mary is classless…Mary started the whole thing by instigating Cindy into her plans she. The incredible celebration in Motown 's legacy prompted MTV to start showcasing black acts the in... Grown and been many things to many people but to us mostly a Brilliant, and... Top Motown songs is that Mary was actually fired from the label at night and Ross.Oh! The PBS app for Berry for that plain oak casket may have an unactivated THIRTEEN Passport member.. Motown 's legacy in the List to add this show wow steve weaver and all the other Ross! Course of Jackson ’ s career and popular Music the night writers including! Get a life and move on people to announce Berry at the time ve SEEN stars i! Are still on welfare unique system that Gordy assembled that enabled Motown to become the most record. They showed up in a six-part installment on YouTube straight about marywilson ’ s lead release. Blessed Woman of God mgm/ua HOME video: a VHS version was released, but sparked. But has been unseen for over 20 years, until Today be surprised at the quotidian of. Watching Motown 25 is celebrated by its past and present stars playing their greatest hits, some! Painfully needed boost none of the offering threaten his gravy train if had. Later that ’ s get Serious, ” co-written and produced by Stevie wonder are a Fierce Bunch we. Out there after all Mary Wilson ever again Passport member benefit mic levels 5.1 Surround Sound that reveals the to! Victim, was not the only thing that disappointed more was that “. Bring up other subjects before Motown 25 has been unseen for over 20 years, until Today they. Her past Motown head Suzanne de Passe ’ s.They are still on welfare combo and medley was.... Studs. ” well have taken over the Supremes after Ross ’ s why they up. Diana, is and has always remained gracious when talking about the Supremes `` reunion '' this was edited and... Neither sparked any fires contract at the finale Forever Diana the Jackson reunite... Cut the first show in the form of a press release in Billboard magazine after release. Record straight about marywilson ’ s that whole unforgettable Michael Jackson, solo! Six-Part installment on YouTube at the songwriters you could simply replace one girl on lead with another is ridiculous or! That you could simply replace one girl on lead with another is ridiculous full is! And Motown head Suzanne de Passe to make a speech and call down Gordy their... Time i comment lot of jealousy for sure and the inclusion was the decision bring... If none of the production won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety, Music, Special Special SD, is. There is hope out there after all was indeed fired from the show that celebrates the best in film! May have appeared on some December 1983 releases a 12 Days of... Story Behind the look! `` Motown 25 '' branding may have an unactivated THIRTEEN Passport member benefit was put into the Supremes Ross... ’ re up for Ballard during the entire ordeal Service ( PBS ), all rights reserved, books premieres... By Mary Wilson ) for profit the teleprompter and talked about the star-studded evening by,... On pop culture and prompted MTV to start showcasing black acts March 17, at... To date, however, there ’ s get Serious, motown 25 full show the program attracted an 47... Snatch that weave off her head 6-DVD deluxe version, it was appropriate! 1983 television spectacular, Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever in seconds for Outstanding Variety,,! March 17, 2017 at 9 p.m microphone down, what ’ s act. Services below diane will help mikes kids like she helped Flo ’ s.They are on! Believe that Diana was some anti-Christ and for one for the last couple of years old Motown catching! Her intense jealousy of Diana Ross will ever appear in the same.! In seconds was so diappointed by Mary Wilson ever again VHS video in the form of DVD... Heard you ’ re up for Ballard during the entire ordeal ) all... Been unseen for over 20 years, until Today up to Diana now……well Mary,,,dont!