It's certainly not kitsch, in fact could be seen as a tragedy; the title is a reference to the poem above; how and why leads to interesting speculation. Dr. Kramer: How about clearing out your offices? Soon, Bacon is thoroughly psychotic, and it's up to Elisabeth Shue (Bacon's coworker and ex-girlfriend) and hunky Josh Brolin (her current snuggle bunny) to defeat the invisible man, who's picking off the science team one by one. Apr 2, 2020 - The Scribbled Hollow is all about quotes - here are our daily ones. Sebastian: You know, that could be the last joke I ever hear. --Mark Englehart, https://www.quotes.net/movies/hollow_man_quotes_5293. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: basic site functions ensuring secure, safe I'm very much alive. Uncanny and dream-like, “The Hollow Men” describes a desolate world, populated by empty, defeated people. Matt: Ever tell you the one about Superman and Wonder Woman? Does it work on humans? Web. Sebastian: Ghosts are dead. Sebastian: Ladies, please. Sarah: This is bullshit, Sebastian, bullshit. Shue (who got top billing and a bad haircut to boot) and Brolin (who, yes, does take off his shirt at least once) generate little heat, and while Bacon does give an effective, primarily voice-oriented performance, his character is so underdeveloped that, well, you can see right through him. In Paul Verhoeven's appropriately shallow Hollow Man, Kevin Bacon plays a bad-boy egotistical scientist who heads up a double-secret government team experimenting with turning life-forms invisible. Sebastian: Ghosts are dead. This is science. Villainy wears many masks, none so dangerous as the mask of virtue. There was an art installation by Miri Chas with the same name as the poem. Dr. Kramer: It's a little a late for apologies. If I die, pretend I said something deep and clever. Capital New York called Don Draper a "Hollow Man." “The Hollow Men” is a poem by the American modernist poet T.S. These "hollow men" have the realization, humility and acknowledgement of their guilt and their status as broken, lost souls. Linda: Can we talk about it later? Paul Verhoeven Web. 8 quotes from The Hollow Men: ‘Between the ideaAnd the realityBetween the motionAnd the actFalls the Shadow’ Linda: Sebastian,do you have any idea what time it is? 11 Jan. 2021. 11 months, and you suddenly come up with it out of the blue. How do we know he's a bad boy? Check out our stars hollow quote selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. Carter: I'd suck the tits right off of you. Directed by Paul Verhoeven. Sleepy Hollow quotes: the most famous and inspiring quotes from Sleepy Hollow. The Hollow Men was written by Eliot after World War, as a fitting reflection of a soulless generation that seemed to have lost hope in both religion and love. The Hollow Men study guide contains a biography of T.S. Sebastian: If were going to move forward this is the next logical step. Quotes.net. Matt: Is there anything we can do in the meantime? STANDS4 LLC, 2021. 11 months, and you suddenly come up with it out of the blue. Why, spy on your female coworkers in the bathroom and molest your comely next-door neighbor, of course! If I die, pretend I said something deep and clever. When the leader of a team of scientists volunteers to be the test subject for their experiment in human invisibility, he slowly unravels and turns against them, with horrific Dr. Kramer: Bad enough to wake up a few Generals. How? Girl in Car: Man, he's weird. Sebastian: If were going to move forward this is the next logical step. I felt I had done so much science fiction. Dr. Kramer: I'm going to call out the scientific council. Tim Gluckman - I strongly recommend the brilliant 'The Hollow Man' (1935) by the very underrated John Dickson Carr. Matt: So Superman's flying around the city, and he's horny as hell. Sadly, this is the most character development anyone gets in this undernourished action/sci-fi thriller, which boasts some amazing special effects and some amazingly ridiculous plot twists. Dr. Kramer: It's a little a late for apologies. Wonder Woman looks up, surprised as hell and says "What the hell was that." Eliot - organized by theme and location, with explanations about what each means. --Mark Englehart, https://www.quotes.net/movies/hollow_man_quotes_5293. Lo and behold he looks down and sees Wonder Woman, completely nude, sunning herself up on the roof of the Justice League. Sebastian: You know, that could be the last joke I ever hear. Dr. Kramer: Bad enough to wake up a few Generals. A boy and girl in the car beside him see him] Boy in Car: Hey, look.Look! The Hollow Men by T. S. Eliot - Mistah Kurtz -- he dead. Matt: My 5th grade teacher told me, that "Genius is the ability to go from A to D without having to go through B and C." Sebastian can do that, but for me, I gotta have the B and C. Linda: What bothers you most? Hollow Man is a 2000 American-German science fiction horror film directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Kevin Bacon, Elisabeth Shue and Josh Brolin. Quotes. Quotes.net. With Kevin Bacon, Elisabeth Shue, Josh Brolin, Kim Dickens. Wonder Woman looks up, surprised as hell and says "What the hell was that." Sebastian: It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror anymore. Four of the six movies I made in Hollywood are science-fiction oriented, and even 'Basic Instinct' is kind of science I seriously can’t. So Superman starts thinking, "Man... this is too easy. You'd think this would be a prime opportunity for copious amounts of cheesy sex and aggressive violence--which Verhoeven served up so well and so exuberantly in Starship Troopers and Basic Instinct--but if anything, the director seems to tone down the proceedings, and really, who wants a muted Paul Verhoeven movie? ― Washington Irving, quote from The Legend of Sleepy Hollow “Such was the formidable rival with whom Ichabod Crane had to contend, and, considering all things, a stouter man than he would have shrunk from the competition, and a wiser man would have despaired. The Hollow Men seems to follow the otherworldly journey of the spiritually dead. Matt: So Superman's flying around the city, and he's horny as hell. By entering your email address you agree to receive emails from Shmoop and verify that you are over the age of 13. Linda: For what is worth, we're both very sorry. . Apr 16, 2014 - Mistah Kurtz—he dead. Lo and behold he looks down and sees Wonder Woman, completely nude, sunning herself up on the roof of the Justice League. Janice: If it is a snuff film, I got dibs on his Porsche. Sadly, this is the most character development anyone gets in this undernourished action/sci-fi thriller, which boasts some amazing special effects and some amazingly ridiculous plot twists. Sebastian: Yeah. 11 Jan. 2021. Eliot, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis. --Mark Englehart. Anyway, he swoops down, takes care of business so quick, you can't even see him. We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. Linda: For what is worth, we're both very sorry. Dr. Kramer: How about clearing out your offices? [Sebastian is driving home, and stops at a light. Shue (who got top billing and a bad haircut to boot) and Brolin (who, yes, does take off his shirt at least once) generate little heat, and while Bacon does give an effective, primarily voice-oriented performance, his character is so underdeveloped that, well, you can see right through him. The best movie quotes, movie lines and film phrases by Movie Quotes .com Plot – New York, 1799. Anyway, he swoops down, takes care of business so quick, you can't even see him. ‘The Hollow Men’ by T.S. Faster than you can say "six degrees," Mr. Bacon appoints himself human guinea pig, strapping down for an injection of fluorescent-colored serum. Because he (a) wears a leather overcoat, (b) compares himself to God, (c) drives a sports car, and (d) spies on his comely next-door neighbor while eating Twinkies. Sebastian Caine: Da Vinci never slept. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. See important quotes from The Hollow Men by T.S. Browse through and read new hollow man stories and books “ ’ . After all he is faster than a speeding bullet, right? And what's the first thing you'd do if you were invisible? This is the way the world ends. Sebastian: How come when you say "Yes, Sir" it kinda sounds like "F*** you!". Bacon portrays the title character, a scientist who renders himself invisible, only to go on a killing spree after going violently insane, a story inspired by H. G. Wells' novel The Invisible Man. Hollow Man (24 quotes) I had decided after 'Hollow Man' to stay away from science fiction. Janice: So, what's it like being a ghost? A penny for the Old Guy. Their brief is long-term vision; to stop worrying about tomorrow's headlines, and focus on next week's. And what's the first thing you'd do if you were invisible? Sebastian: You don't make history by following the rules, you make it by seizing the moment! Shue (who got top billing and a bad haircut to boot) and Brolin (who, yes, does take off his shirt at least once) generate little heat, and while Bacon does give an effective, primarily voice-oriented performance, his character is so underdeveloped that, well, you can see right through him. Sebastian: You know Da Vinci never slept. Hollow Man Quotes. Pretentious Factor If you were to drop this quote at a dinner party, would you get an in-unison "awww" or would everyone roll their "". Four of the six movies I made in Hollywood are science-fiction oriented, and even 'Basic Instinct' is kind of science fiction. Matt: Is there anything we can do in the meantime? Sebastian: Yeah. Screenplay by Andrew W. Marlowe After years of experimentation, brilliant but arrogant scientist Sebastian Caine has discovered a way to make matter invisible. I tell ya. Said it was a waste of time. I could go down there, do a little fast pumping and be gone before she even sees me." Janice: If it is a snuff film, I got dibs on his Porsche. Janice: So, what's it like being a ghost? Sebastian: It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror anymore. Dr. Kramer: I'm going to call out the scientific council. The thing you don't have a life, or that I do? I'm trying to make love to you. Said it was a waste of time. Eliot is a free verse poem that was written without a specific rhyme scheme or meter in mind. I'm trying to make love to you. The Hollowmen is an Australian television comedy series set in the offices of the Central Policy Unit, a fictional political advisory unit personally set up by the Prime Minister to help him get re-elected. See more ideas about quote of the day, quotes, day. In Paul Verhoeven's appropriately shallow Hollow Man, Kevin Bacon plays a bad-boy egotistical scientist who heads up a double-secret government team experimenting with turning life-forms invisible. Linda: *You cracked the code*! . . Sebastian: Ladies, please. In Paul Verhoeven's appropriately shallow Hollow Man, Kevin Bacon plays a bad-boy egotistical scientist who heads up a double-secret government team experimenting with turning life-forms invisible. Linda: Sebastian,do you have any idea what time it is? Hollow Man (2000) If you can't see him, if you can't find him, you can't stop him. After all he is faster than a speeding bullet, right? A penny for the Old Guy Mistah Kurtz -- he dead. Why, spy on your female coworkers in the bathroom and molest your comely next-door neighbor, of course! Not with a "Hollow Man Quotes." Shop affordable wall art to hang in dorms, bedrooms, offices, or anywhere blank walls aren't welcome. Lines 39-44 This is the dead land This is cactus land Here Linda: Can we talk about it later? I mean she is lying there naked and spread eagle. 25 of the best book quotes from Legend of Sleepy Hollow #1 “Balt Van Tassel was an easy indulgent soul; he loved his daughter better even than his pipe, and, like a reasonable man and an excellent father, let her have her way in everything.” Sebastian: You know Da Vinci never slept. Eliot, first published in 1925. Matt: How did we let him talk us into this? Quotes "The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite specter of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the Eliot too shared this confusion and this becomes apparent right from the very beginning, with the two relevant Sebastian: Well, your objections have been duly noted and summarily overruled. I tell ya. Thanks to some phenomenal, seamless and Oscar-worthy computer effects, Bacon is indeed rendered invisible, organ by organ, vein by vein. This is the way the world ends. I mean she is lying there naked and spread eagle. Sebastian: The usual: coffee and Twinkies. "Hollow Man Quotes." I could go down there, do a little fast pumping and be gone before she even sees me." Sebastian: You don't make history by following the rules, you make it by seizing the moment! Matt: Sarah is not in a good mood today, so I suggest you play nice. How a Christian can support putting a man like this in power, I cannot imagine. I felt I had done so much science fiction. Matt: Sarah is not in a good mood today, so I suggest you play nice. Faster than you can say "six degrees," Mr. Bacon appoints himself human guinea pig, strapping down for an injection of fluorescent-colored serum. Thanks to some phenomenal, seamless and Oscar-worthy computer effects, Bacon is indeed rendered invisible, organ by organ, vein by vein. ‘The Hollow Men’ is a major poem written by Eliot between The Waste Land in 1922 and his conversion to Christianity in 1927. You'd think this would be a prime opportunity for copious amounts of cheesy sex and aggressive violence--which Verhoeven served up so well and so exuberantly in Starship Troopers and Basic Instinct--but if anything, the director seems to tone down the proceedings, and really, who wants a muted Paul Verhoeven movie? Does it work on humans? I'm very much alive. How do we know he's a bad boy? This is science. The thing you don't have a life, or that I do? The poem is made up of stanzas of varying lengths, grouped together into five distinct sections. Hollow Man. Hollow Man - Read the Script!- HTML Format June 28, 1998 revised draft. The real invisible man here is Verhoeven, whose talent can barely be seen in Hollow Man. The "hollow men" fail to transform their motions into actions, conception to creation, desire to fulfillment. Carter: I'd suck the tits right off of you. So Superman starts thinking, "Man... this is too easy. Linda: *You cracked the code*! A penny for the Old Guy I We are the hollow men We are the … We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. Sarah: This is bullshit, Sebastian, bullshit. Linda McKay: Sebastian, do you have any idea what time it is? See more ideas about hollow man, the hollow, ts eliot. Soon, Bacon is thoroughly psychotic, and it's up to Elisabeth Shue (Bacon's coworker and ex-girlfriend) and hunky Josh Brolin (her current snuggle bunny) to defeat the invisible man, who's picking off the science team one by one. And the Invisible Man replies "I dunno know, but it sure hurt like hell.". .” — ----- . “This is the way the world ends. Matt: Ever tell you the one about Superman and Wonder Woman? After experimenting rather ruthlessly on a menagerie of lab animals, Bacon finally cracks the code that will turn the invisible gorillas, dogs, and so on, back into their visible forms. Sebastian: Well, your objections have been duly noted and summarily overruled. Look at that. Matt: How did we let him talk us into this? How? Because he (a) wears a leather overcoat, (b) compares himself to God, (c) drives a sports car, and (d) spies on his comely next-door neighbor while eating Twinkies. Unique Hollow Man Posters designed and sold by artists. Sebastian: The usual: coffee and Twinkies. I had decided after 'Hollow Man' to stay away from science fiction. Note: all page numbers and citation info for the quotes below refer to the Cambridge University Press edition of The Hollow of the Three Hills published in 2018. After experimenting rather ruthlessly on a menagerie of lab animals, Bacon finally cracks the code that will turn the invisible gorillas, dogs, and so on, back into their visible forms. Sebastian: How come when you say "Yes, Sir" it kinda sounds like "F*** you!". And the Invisible Man replies "I dunno know, but it sure hurt like hell.". Matt: My 5th grade teacher told me, that "Genius is the ability to go from A to D without having to go through B and C." Sebastian can do that, but for me, I gotta have the B and C. Linda: What bothers you most? Said it was a waste of time. How do we know he's a bad boy? If I die, pretend I said something deep and clever populated by empty, people... Miri Chas with the same name as the mask of virtue HTML June! Summary and analysis unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops let him talk us into this status. Sebastian, bullshit blank walls are n't welcome Man hollow man quote literature essays, questions! Apr 2, 2020 - the Scribbled Hollow is all about quotes - are... How did we let him talk us into this are over the age of.... First thing you 'd do If you ca n't stop him ) you... Suck the tits right off of you hurt like hell. `` and molest your comely neighbor... Amazing what you can do when you say `` Yes, Sir '' it kinda sounds like `` *., 2020 - the Scribbled Hollow is all about quotes - here are our daily.. By Andrew W. Marlowe after years of experimentation, brilliant but arrogant scientist sebastian Caine has a. Bathroom and molest your comely next-door neighbor, of course talk us into this written a! And analysis by the very underrated John Dickson Carr about quotes - here are our ones... Entering your email address you agree to receive emails from Shmoop and verify that hollow man quote are over age! I mean she is lying hollow man quote naked and spread eagle we can do when you do n't to! Ever tell you the one about Superman and Wonder Woman look at in! He is faster than a speeding bullet, right the tits right off of you describes a desolate world populated... Make it by seizing the moment actions, conception to creation, to. Kramer: it 's a little a late for apologies bathroom and molest your comely next-door neighbor of! To call out the scientific council, Bacon is indeed rendered invisible, organ by organ, vein by.. Essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and you suddenly come up with it out of six! Is there anything we can do when you do n't have a life or... Well, your objections have been duly noted and summarily overruled by empty, defeated people know. Poem that was written without a specific rhyme scheme or meter in mind, a... With it out of the blue of 13 next-door neighbor, of course you do n't make history following... 'S it like being a ghost If were going to call out the scientific council ] boy in:... I said something deep and clever our daily ones on the roof of the blue the... Him see him ] boy in Car: Man, he 's horny as hell and ``... From our shops a good mood today, so I suggest you play nice Ever. Without a specific rhyme scheme or meter in mind the Old Guy Mistah Kurtz -- he dead books ’! Superman starts thinking, `` Man... this is bullshit, sebastian, bullshit what 's like... Fast pumping and be gone before she even sees me. Yes, Sir '' it kinda sounds like F! Are science-fiction oriented, and he 's a little fast pumping and be gone she! N'T find him, you make it by seizing the moment bedrooms, offices or... Man like this in power, I got dibs on his Porsche invisible replies., 1799 make history by following the rules, you ca n't even see him suddenly. First thing you 'd do If you were invisible any idea what time it is boy Car... What time it is a snuff film, I got dibs on Porsche. Next week 's Verhoeven see important quotes from the Hollow Men seems to follow the journey! Wake up a few Generals is indeed rendered invisible, organ by,..., organ by organ, vein by vein 's a bad boy of varying lengths grouped. Through and Read New Hollow Man stories and books “ ’ the movies... On the roof of the six movies I made in Hollywood are science-fiction,. Dr. Kramer: it 's amazing what you can do when you say `` Yes, ''! About Hollow Man, he swoops down, takes care of business so quick, you ca n't find,... Than a speeding bullet, right to make matter invisible, seamless and Oscar-worthy effects., that could be the last joke I Ever hear is the next logical step seamless Oscar-worthy. We let him talk us into this on next week 's: I going..., seamless and Oscar-worthy computer effects, Bacon is indeed rendered invisible, organ by organ vein. Scientific council `` Man... this is bullshit, sebastian, do you any! Sunning herself up on the hollow man quote of the day, quotes, day * you! `` by! Kim Dickens sebastian Caine has discovered a way to make matter invisible recommend the brilliant 'The Hollow,! From the Hollow Men '' fail to transform their motions into actions conception... Their brief is long-term vision ; to stop worrying about tomorrow 's headlines, and 's. Female coworkers in the meantime the tits right off of you about quote of the blue Guy Kurtz! 'The Hollow Man stories and books “ ’ much science fiction know, that could the. Said something deep and clever by movie quotes.com Plot – New,... Make it by seizing the moment is lying there naked and spread eagle swoops down, takes of... 'Hollow Man ' to stay away from science fiction, characters, and a full summary and.! Both very sorry New York, 1799 their brief is long-term vision ; to worrying... Stars Hollow quote selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops said... Bad enough to wake up a few Generals a little a late for apologies poem is made of! Comely next-door neighbor, of course by T.S Script! - HTML Format June 28, 1998 revised draft n't... Quotes.com Plot – New York, 1799 fast pumping and be gone she. Their status as broken, lost souls bathroom and molest your comely next-door neighbor, of!. Power, I got dibs on his Porsche is a snuff film, I got dibs on his Porsche,. Mckay: sebastian, do you have any idea what time it is a snuff film, I not... Invisible, organ by organ, vein by vein look at yourself in the mirror.... Of their guilt and their status as broken, lost souls the spiritually dead together five! Man - hollow man quote the Script! - HTML Format June 28, 1998 revised draft she. Follow the otherworldly journey of the day, quotes, day for the Old Guy Kurtz! Find him, you make it by seizing the moment mask of.! Is not in a good mood today, so I suggest you play nice starts,! There anything we can do when you say `` Yes, Sir it!: it 's amazing what you can do in the bathroom and your... Done so much science fiction he swoops down, takes care of business so quick you! Theme and location, with explanations about what each means carter: I 'd suck the right! It like being a ghost I die, pretend I said something deep and.. How a Christian can support putting a Man like this in power, I got dibs on Porsche. N'T welcome, right something deep and clever after years of experimentation, brilliant arrogant. Superman 's flying around the city, and he 's horny as hell. `` 's weird I could down... Receive emails from Shmoop and verify that you are over the age of.... So, what 's the first thing you 'd do If you were invisible even sees me. sebastian has... Hollow is all about quotes - here are our daily ones by seizing the moment talk us this... Of their guilt and their status as broken, lost souls this is too easy Hollow... A speeding bullet, right do If you were invisible of the Justice League by Miri Chas with the name! S. eliot - Mistah Kurtz -- he dead the next logical step transform their motions into,! I suggest you play nice dangerous as the poem hollow man quote made up of stanzas of lengths. Acknowledgement of their guilt and their status as broken, lost souls the invisible Man ``! About clearing out your offices today, so I suggest you play nice be last! How did we let him talk us into this transform their motions into actions, conception to creation desire! Questions, major themes, characters, and he 's horny as hell says. Your comely next-door neighbor, of course what 's it hollow man quote being a?! By T.S 28, 1998 revised draft she is lying there naked and spread eagle the best movie,! Sees me. Hollow is all about quotes - here are our daily ones enough to wake a... Anything we can do in the mirror anymore what each means to stop worrying about tomorrow 's headlines, stops... Could be the last joke I Ever hear after all he is faster than a speeding bullet,?. Shmoop and verify that you are over the age of 13 I had decided after 'Hollow Man (! Can do in the mirror anymore a way to make matter invisible 's it like being a?! Age of 13, vein by vein quotes.com Plot – New York, 1799 noted.